Sunday, May 9, 2010

2 Weeks to Go

Two weeks until Warrior Dash! I've lengthened my runs outside to 4+ miles, and my treadmill work has got me running 3 miles in about 25 minutes.

I recieved and email through the NS site a few days ago from a contact concerned that by not eating NS any longer and working out I would backslide into gaining weight. I guess my posts of late have dealt more with training than with eating. If anything, I'm eating healthier than when I was eating NS alone. The reduction in sodium has been tremendous. I've increased my protein amounts and reduced the fat in my diet. I'm sure I take in more calories than most on NS do, but then again I train at least 2.5 hours a day, 6 day a week.

Monday through Friday my current diet consists of granola cereal for breakfast (I eat a large bowl with skim milk ~ 500 calories). Pre workout (after my first run of the day) I usually have either a protein shake or a cup of yogurt. After the gym I have a small lunch (lately I've been eating either sushi [not rolls, either nigiri or sashimi] or a Lean Cuisine meal). Late in the afternoon I sometimes have a NS snack or something similar (Skinny Cow for example). Dinner most days is grilled fish. Typically either salmon or mahi mahi. We use no oils, no butter, usually only jerk or pepper seasoning. We have a salad with dinner along with some type of veggie. Dessert is usually a Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich. This puts me between 2000-2500 calories per day. Along with the food I take a vitamin pack from GNC (athlete stack) and drink LOTS of water.

This routine varies on the weekends. I usually have one meal out at night on the weekend (this weekend we ate a delicious meal for Mother's Day at St. Johns in Chattanooga). Last weekend we ate at a Korean BBQ. Sometimes we eat Mexican or a good seafood place. I even eat a dessert on the nights out. I'm not concerned right now with the weekend meals potentially negating the work during the week. After months and months of battling and losing weight every day, I NEED a little rest. The main thing is that I'm not gaining any weight now (and probably losing a little each week, just not the 3-5 pounds I was losing before). I am in better physical shape now than 2 months ago (just ending the NS program). I'm much stronger, have much more stamina (longer runs, more often), and can train harder. I'm sure in another couple of weeks, say a little after Warrior Dash, I'll be ready to go back into a mindset of losing another 20 pounds or so. I'll use our upcoming wedding as good motivation to lose down to around 180.

The eating routines I developed on NS have become a lifestyle. Smaller meals, smaller portions, salads, healthy snacks, and eating breakfast EVERY morning have been key. Most importantly I have removed FAST FOOD from my life. The NS friend's email was trying to make a point to me that I already know, and have even talked about with anyone who will listen often. Exercise is great, but the proper diet is a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment