Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Smoked during my run...

Sunday morning Kim and I ran our little route around the lake. We made it two miles before needing to recover a little. This is the best Kim has done so far. She's only been able to train once a week or so, so this much progress is great. We'll try to slow down and stretch out the distance on the net run.

Monday I ran 3 miles at home, then rode the spin bike for about 30 minutes before heading to the gym. At the gym I planned to get in an hour on the treadmill. I began with 15 minutes of a HIIT run. 2 minutes 30 seconds at 6, then thirty seconds at 9.5, then repeat. I stopped after 15 minutes. My legs felt weird, for lack of a better word. I guess just a little different from the small amount of near sprinting. I moved on to the stair-treadmill. 15 minutes on it and then back to the treadmill for a 15 minutes uphill walk. After the cardio I trained chest. 3 sets of incline presses, 3 sets of decline presses, 3 sets of machine presses, and 3 sets of flies.

Today I rode the spin bike for an hour then went to the gym. At the gym I got my ass handed to me. I ran into one of the local trainers who proceeded to invite me to go on an outdoor jog with him and some of the guys he trains. He assured me that they were going to run a slow, easy, deliberate pace......And I'm sure it was, for him. I did real well the first mile and a half, then we arrived at a rather large hill and I watched them run off into the distance. I walked up the hill, and then resumed a SLOW paced jog back to the gym. My slow and their slow are two very different things. Getting left so far behind is a sign of the shape I'm really in. Good for me, but not so good. It's great motivation to train harder, continue losing weight, keep running, and get to the point where I can not only train hard in the gym, run well on the treadmill, but also run at a decent pace outdoors (7:30-8 minute miles instead of the 9-10 minute miles I run outdoors now). After I got home from the gym (I didn't even work out after the run) I rode the spin bike for another 35 minutes. Hopefully Kim and I will be able to get in a little walk after dinner.

My meals have been very good so far this week. Cereal, protein shakes, Lean Cuisine meals, fish, and vegetables. I'm kinda growing tired of grilled fish. Well, the thought of it anyway. I always enjoy it when we eat it.

2 comments:

  1. You should feel really good about your pace! I would be stoked to run 3 miles outside at any pace on top of all the other training you do! Congrats!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It was good to get a dose of reality. I think I've grown a little complacent in my training. I've needed someone to chase....

    ReplyDelete