Monday, May 24, 2010

Dashed (Warrior Dash)

So we ran the SE Warrior Dash last weekend. To read about it check out my personal blog here.

We were tired afterward. Not so much from the race, just the entire weekend surrounding the race. We (and the pug) slept like we were dead last night. Today began the return to training for health/weigh loss again. Still gonna run, lots, but not the main concern now. I've got a real problem with my left heel/tendon (Achilles) area that I've gotta let rest and heal up. Cardio for the next couple of weeks will be all on the spin bike, the elliptical, walking around the lake, and walking uphill on the treadmill. I don't want to tear whatever is wrong with my foot, so not much running this week and next. When I raise my toes upward while keeping the heel of my foot on the ground it feels like something is about to snap, and hurts a lot. It even huts to touch it. So in my expert medical opinion, I need to rest it awhile.


Warrior Princess Kim & the Warrior Pug!

I'm returning to a lower calorie daily intake for a while. 1500-1850 or so. No breaks on weekends. No breaks on vacations. Just back to normal (NS normal). My training switched today too. I trained with weights first. Cardio after. Today was chest. Lifting first I felt pretty strong. 1 warm up set and then 3 working sets of hammer strength bench presses, then 3 sets of incline presses, 3 sets of decline presses, 3 sets of machine flies, and 2 sets of push-ups. Most sets were between 8-12 reps except for the push-ups, which were sets of 30 & 20 reps. Cardio at the gym was 15 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes walking uphill on the treadmill. I did run for about 2 minutes on the treadmill testing out some new shoes. I finally found a pair of Vibram fivefingers! Pretty cool, geeky looking shoe. Think toe shoes. I'll post a pic soon. Anyway, the shoes are supposed to force you to run as if you are barefoot, which is supposedly better for you. As I ran on the treadmill, they did force me to land much more forward (the ball of the foot, I guess) and lessened the impact on the heel. I'm looking forward to running outside (on dirt/grass/trails) wearing these. Just gotta wait on the tendon/heel the get better. Late this evening Kim, Jumping Jack Flash, and I walked about 2 miles around the lake. I wore the Vibrams and was very pleased with the way they felt.


Kim and I just after the race.

Food today was granola cereal for breakfast. Some lean ham and chicken for lunch. Post workout was a protein shake. Dinner this evening was a NS Buffalo Chicken Wrap. Dessert was a white chocolate chunk cookie. Good day!



BTW, someone ran the race (5K with obstacles) in 15:48. That's fast, yall!!!! We don't know our times yet, they'll be posted later this week. We are both beet up. Scratches and bruises all over. So much fun though. We're running another one on June 26th, assuming my foot heals up.

2 comments:

  1. off to GA for business. South Ga and I work insane hours. Coasting week for work outs. But back to the grind when I return. Next goal 20% Bf and below....I think I'm asking for more than I can chew with that, but we'll see. Where did you place on the dash? - lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lili - Sorry, took me a minute to respond. We're in Houston for a bit, then back to NOLA, then home. We finished in 32 minutes. Somewhere right in the middle of the pack. Lots of fun. We didn't really run the last half of the race due to the dangerous footing on the wooded trails. We've found a couple more we're gonna run it over the summer and fall.

    In other news my foot has healed up nicely. I'll be able to run and train again once we're home. Back to the grind for me as well. Have fun down in mosquito land (that would be S GA).

    ReplyDelete