Thursday, April 15, 2010

A House Nearby Exploded Today

Yep, a house a couple of streets away blew up today. Kinda puts my running/training/dieting in perspective. More about the explosion below.

This morning began with me waking very early due to Kim's iPhone alarm going off non-stop for what seemed like hours (probably wasn't more than a few minutes). She's a deep sleeper. Usually I'm not. I wake easily and usually in a very good mood. Kim typically does not. So I got up and did my usual thing of taking the pug out, getting some coffee, releasing the remaining hounds, and feeding the cats. Kim rose a little later and I began my first hour on the spin bike as she got ready for work. I decided not to run around the lake today so my sore leg muscle could get a little more rest. I next hit the gym where I did do some very slow intervals (between 6 & 7 mph) and then walked for a bit, then finally finishing up with a little more jogging before moving to the elliptical for about 15 minutes. So with another hour of cardio complete I moved quickly through an arm workout. 3 sets of press downs, 3 sets of rope press downs, and finally 3 sets of reverse grip press downs for triceps. Biceps began with 3 sets of seated incline dumbbell curls, 3 sets of standing hammer curls, and 2 sets of concentration curls. Whew! I was beat when I left.

Back home I changed into some dry clothes, had a new and improved Labrada "Carb Watchers" Lean Body Protein Shake (Chocolate Ice Cream flavor), and headed back out to work for a bit. After finishing up my few errands, I hit the local sushi place for my afternoon snack. I had salmon, tuna, tilapia, eel, shrimp, and white tuna. Pretty good (especially for my little town).

Once back home I was sitting at my computer in my office, doing something very productive like looking at FaceBook or something, when I felt the house shudder followed instantly by the sound of a very loud explosion. Shock wave followed by sound wave. I've been in a couple of earthquakes so I knew the order of the shaking and explosions were wrong (the last earthquake I was in last month, there was a loud boom, followed by shake, shudder, shake). I was up and running outside before I really realized what I was doing. I had my keys (so I could grab my police scanner out of the car, or drive away if necessary), my phone (because I figured something bad had just happened right outside my house and I'd need to call 911 any moment), and most importantly, my camera. Once outside I found nothing. Nothing but a beautiful day. The only strange thing was every dog within ear shot was going nuts. I turned on the scanner and heard the initial call of a possible explosion. Withing a few seconds I could hear more and more calls ringing in the background as the local 911 switchboards lit up. The subdivision that is just upstream from our lake was where the explosion occurred. Now I could see smoke rising from the area. One house was completely obliterated. Nothing left. 15 others were damaged. Some type of a gas leak occurred and the house blew at about 3:25PM. No one was home. The local school buses hadn't made it to the neighborhood yet either. Everyone was very lucky. Had anyone been inside they'd have been a goner.

Over the next hour I watched FaceBook and Twitter as my local town lost it's collective mind. Some people swore they'd seen a jet crash into the house. Others knew for a fact the house contained a meth lab. Nonsense. The explosion blew outward, not like an impact where something hit it and then the structure collapsed. And for the amount of force generated by the explosion it would have to have been the biggest meth lab in the world. The explosion was felt miles away and heard on the other side of the county. But none the less, the local lunatics went wild with stories. And of course everyone tried to drive into the area to see what had happened. Absolute lunacy reigned supreme for a few hours this afternoon. I think things have calmed somewhat now (except for the families that were involved, and the idiots who have been trying to sneak into the neighborhood). For the record, once I realized that the explosion was not right outside my house, I did NOT attempt to run to the area and sneak around the police to take pics. I did think about it though.

For pictures of the explosion try here and video from and Atlanta news chopper that was in the area here.

Kim made it home a little after all of the excitement and we had grilled salmon with jerk seasoning along with some beans and rice. We then walked Jumping Jack Flash for a bit before dark. My final cardio of the day came as I watched the Braves beat the Padres tonight. Over a 4000 calorie burn again today and I consumed somewhere above 2500. Really doesn't seam as important compared to your house blowing up....

No comments:

Post a Comment