Monday, April 19, 2010

Strength is Still Returning

Monday began with a 3 mile run. I ran alone today because Kim needed to get to work early and Jumping Jack Flash has gone to visit with my parents and their dogs. He needs a little rest anyway. He's been getting four or five miles in every day and is almost too small. We've decided to buy him some canned, high calorie dog food to supplement his diet. Summer is always rough on him. He plays too hard and eats too little. I've discovered that when I run alone I encounter much more wildlife. Today I saw the usual geese and other birds, and a few horses in the field, but then I ran across some ponies in the wooded part of the run I've never seen before. Moments later I almost ran over a couple of large deer. The pranced away and I continued my run towards home running across several very cute rabbits along the way. I guess without Kim or Jack to talk to as I run I don't make as much noise and get closer to the animals before they take notice. Of course Jack is usually either just in font or just behind me barking and playing making noise (or chasing the animals before I ever see them) so this could be a reason I don't see as many animals too.

After the run I went to the gym and ran another 3.5 miles. My old training partner DJ arrived during my run and we trained chest afterward. Today's workout continued my theme of getting stronger each workout after switching my diet. I think the increase in calories (minor) and the substantial increase in protein (considerable) has really made the difference. I think I've regained better than 1/2 of what I lost while using NS. Today we began with 3 sets of incline bench presses (~232#'s for reps today, while I used to do ~272#, & I got as low as ~180#'s), then flat bench dumbbell presses for 3 sets, next 3 sets of machine flies, and finally 3 sets of decline bench presses (almost back to the full amount I used to press here). All of this was after running 6 miles. Overall I was very happy with my workout. The running is very easy now (I've begun pushing my outdoor workout trying to decrease my time) and the workout intensity is returning as well. WOOHOO!

The only other exercise of the day was after dinner. Kim, the pug, and I took a mile walk around the lake just before dark. I'm still amazed at how many calories I burn just taking a leisurely walk in the evening.

Food was great all day, including the dinner at the local Chinese Buffet. I didn't go too crazy at the buffet. Some sushi, peanut chicken, shrimp, a little more peanut chicken, sesame chicken, and a cup of ice cream. The rest of the day was protein shakes, granola bars, granola cereal, and grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment