Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vastus Medialis (Day 242)

This post is for Tuesday, April 13th, 2010.

My morning started off great. Up relatively early, coffee, and then off on 3+ mile run with Jumping Jack Flash. Felt great afterward. Next I headed to the gym and pushed my speed a little on the treadmill, running 8mph for 1+ miles, 7mph for the next 1.5 miles, and then slowed to 6 mph to finish up. Kim arrived at the gym as I entering the 6mph phase, so I decided to do some intervals as she got in a jog. Somewhere towards the end of the 6mph and beginning of the intervals, I noticed a sharp muscle soreness in my lower right quad. When I slowed to a walk it was very noticeable, but when I returned to a jog it went away. So I ended up staying with a jog the remainder of the time. I finished up with 5.5 miles on the treadmill and then trained shoulders as Kim left to return to work. As the workout began the pain in my quad returned and hasn't left since. It hurts when I walk upstairs or put my weight fully on my right leg. Guessing I have a very small strain in the Vastus Medialis (muscle in the quad near the knee). No running tomorrow. I'll try to spin, walk the dogs, and even the elliptical to see how it feels and hopefully find some way to get in my cardio. My shoulder workout went well. 3 sets of shoulder presses, 3 sets of side lateral raises, 3 sets of upright cable rows, 3 sets of rear delts, and 3 sets of shoulder shrugs. After the gym I did get in some additional walking. I took the Pug for about a mile and a half walk during the afternoon in an attempt to get her some exercise. She was very hot and had to go swimming in the lake. Kim and I walked again with her for about a mile after dinner. She (the pug) was much happier on the second walk (much cooler temps). So on the day I had about 8.5 miles of jogging/intervals and 2+ miles of walking. Pretty good day.

When working out I typically train covered up. By that I mean I don't wear tank tops, or sleeveless t-shirts, or anything revealing. Usually I wear a UA undershirt along with a some type of over shirt. No particular reason, just my thing and I'm comfortable training that way. Over the past few days I've gotten so hot at the gym that I have on occasion had to kinda roll the sleeves of my shirt up a little. In doing so I've noticed the return of something I haven't seen since my days as a personal trainer when I worked out with the crazy bodybuilders. Vascularity. The veins that used to bulge out of my arms and chest have begun to return. Now just to train & diet hard enough to be vascular when I'm not training. This is already the case to a certain extent. My calves, legs, forearms and even biceps have become vascular even when I'm resting. Hopefully within another month or so maybe my shoulders and chest will do the same.

Great day with food. No 1000 calories worth of nuts to mess up the day. Coffee and granola for breakfast, yogurt for a snack, chicken for lunch, granola for a late snack, tilapia with collard greens, pinto beans, and spaghetti squash for dinner, and a dessert of a granola bar and a skinny cow ice cream sandwich. 2300 or so calories on the day and BB has me burning ~4300.

Tomorrow should be interesting trying to find a way to do cardio. Hope I can just rest the one day and then get back to my running.

No comments:

Post a Comment