Thursday, June 10, 2010

Barking Calves

My new style of running (landing more on my toes/balls of my feet) has finally resulted in one of the things happening that I've read about. Very. Sore. Calves. I have well developed calves and typically don't train them anymore. I don't want them to be freaky big so I tend to not train them at all beyond the workouts they get running, walking uphill, and on the StairMaster or elliptical. Running in the new manner is shredding my calves. I ran intervals again today, 5 minutes running then 5 of uphill walking, and by the end of my 30 minutes on the treadmill my calves were barking. Screaming really. Once I was home and resting I noticed both calves were twitching like crazy. Almost like they were starting little micro cramps, but didn't have the energy to fully cramp up (thank goodness).

Today was arm day at the gym. I began with 3 sets of overhead presses, then 3 sets of press downs, and finally 3 sets of rope press downs for triceps. Biceps began with 3 sets of hammer strength preacher curls, 3 sets of incline dumbbell curls, and finally 3 sets of heavy standing dumbbell curls. 30 minutes on the treadmill and then 10 on the elliptical and I called it quits at the gym. Once home I had a protein shake and then got in 30 minutes on the spin bike while watching the Braves game (they had a day game today). This evening Kim, JJF, and I walked the 2.4 miles route around the lake before dinner.

Good food day. Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal, morning snack of yogurt, protein shake for lunch, LC late in the afternoon, more LC for dinner along with some squash casserole Kim made. Dessert was a Chocolate Peanut Butter sandwich. A little over 2000 calories today. I think I'll have burned a little over 4000 according to the BB.

Tomorrow is leg day. Wonderful. I'm still sore from last week....

No comments:

Post a Comment