Monday, June 28, 2010

Freaky Sore

I woke this morning to find some new soreness as a result of yesterday's Insanity workout. Most notably strange places in my feet and calves. I've very quickly learned that the things I need to work on the most are my balance and my flexibility. I used to have plenty of both. Not so much now. The balance issue is very odd. At the end of the workout I had trouble standing on one leg as I stretched the other. Gotta work on that.

My workouts began at the gym today. I started with running 3 miles (the best run I've had in a month) of intervals, varying speeds from 6 to 8. I then walked about 20 minutes uphill, and finally finished up with about 10 minutes on the elliptical. I didn't mean to do quite so much cardio, but I got to the gym early and then had to wait on mom to finish up her fist treadmill work since she got her new pedometer. Next we trained chest. I was rather tired when we started, so it was a machine only workout. 3 sets seated chest press, machine incline presses, hammer strength decline presses, and machine flies. I retired to the house immediately following our last set.

Kim and I had our second Insanity workout after she got home from work. 40 minutes of bouncing and jumping around and we were exhausted. Kim said she's sore all over. She claims even her hair is sore. This workout was a little different than the first. More squatting and jumping than the first, along with some triceps and shoulder exercises.

After dinner Kim, JJF, and I walked around the lake. We got a free light show off in the distance as a massive cloud rolled towards us, filling the sky with almost constant lightning.

I had a decent day with food. Cereal and yogurt for breakfast, protein shake after the gym, two turkey sandwiches scattered throughout the afternoon, and cereal for dinner. I also had a serving or two of almonds (I tried some new habanero bbq flavored nuts & some buffalo flavored too) & munched on a chocolate muffin over the entire day. More calories than I had intended, but still well under 2000. I burned 4055 according to the BB. I really think the BB under-counts the Insanity workouts. 400 or so calories during a 40 minute workout. During the same time frame we take our nightly walk and burn 230. I'm usually barely sweating at the end of our walk, and that's from the heat more than from exertion. At the end of an Insanity workout, I'm trembling, on the verge of vomiting, soaked with sweat, and my heart is racing. I really think the BB is off with this type of workout. Maybe if I count all of the calories burned until I cool down to a resting burn rate it is more accurate. If that's the case I'm burning somewhere around 700 calories as a result of an Insanity workout. Either way, it's a good burn, just kinda messes with my mind thinking that a leisurely walk can burn more than 1/2 the calories as all that craziness.

Tomorrow is a back workout at the gym (switching shoulders and back since the Insanity workout had a little shoulder work today), some intervals on the treadmill, Insanity, walk around the lake, and maybe even a quick ride on the spin bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment