Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Running In the new Vibram Bikila

Last night I only got to walk the dog around the lake to break in the new Vibram Bikila shoes. Today I got in a little 3 mile run on the treadmill and I was thrilled with them. Much more comfortable than the Vibram KSO's I've been using from time to time. The material is a little different, the fit is more snug and cushiony, and much more padding/gripping material on the front of the foot. I had a few people stop me and ask about them while I was training. 1 guy even knew what they were and had been trying to find a pair. I got lucky finding these (at the 10th place I tried). Maybe not so much lucky, just determined to find a pair....

My workout to day was very fast paced. I began with 3 sets of pull ups, then 3 sets of t-bar rows, then 3 sets of hammer strength pull downs, then ended with 3 sets of lat pull downs. I finished the workout in under 10 minutes, so I was moving quick with little rest. I was in such a hurry so that I made sure I had time to run for 30 minutes before having to get ready to meet my mother and sister for lunch. The run was great. No pain, no issues with the new shoes, just a good, decent paced run. I didn't push at all (making sure I was comfortable in the shoes) but by running after the fast workout, my heart rate stayed pretty high the entire workout. I guess the real test of how I fared will come tomorrow when I find out if my calves are wrecked or not.

I spent the rest of the day either working for my father after my lunch with Joyce and Drena. I had a chicken, spinach, shrimp, curried peach dish over rice. Very good. Really good considering that I forgot to eat breakfast for the first time in over a year. I guess I just got busy trying to do some bookwork and getting ready to train. Crazy. I wondered why I was so hungry before lunch.

My only other training on the day was a walk around the lake. I developed a very painful blister on my foot after the walk. Every time I get some new shoes I always get a blister or two.

Tomorrow is already wrecked. I've gotta work for a bit in Atlanta, deal with the blister, and try to train before the gym gets crowded tomorrow evening. Might have to skip the gym entirely and just spin, walk, and do Insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment