Sunday, January 10, 2010

4000+ Calorie Burn & a Pathetic Ab Workout (Day 147)

This post is for Saturday, January 9th, 2010.

Our new spin bike is killing me. I'm training on it once in the morning & again late in the evening. The morning session I'm riding along with a DVD and the evening I'm watching TV and listening to my iPhone. Either way, I'd dripping with sweat afterward. I attempted the weight management portion of the DVD and did great on the ride until the section where I was to ride standing. I made it a few minutes, but had to take a seat and pedal for a few moments, then return to the standing "jog" for a bit, then back to seated pedaling again. It's fairly brutal. My evening ride I increase the resistance every minute until it is very difficult, then back it off slowly, then repeat increasing every 30 seconds before backing the intensity back off again. Not as exciting, but I'm able to concentrate on whatever I'm watching (last night it was the Eagles getting embarrassed by Dallas). The seat is getting a little better, or maybe my rear end has become numb. Can't wait on the new gel seat cover to arrive.

We trained arms & abs at the gym yesterday. I really don't train abs often (they get trained enough by stabilizing my body when I train other body parts, or that's what I've always told myself) but Kim wanted to so we had a brief first ab workout. Maybe now that I'm smaller/leaner I can get motivated about training abs regularly. At 288 pounds, it's kinda pointless to train abs from an aesthetic standpoint. At ~205, maybe. Hopefully when I hit 190 I'll be happy we've started training abs. Anyway, we began with 30 minutes on the treadmill. I ran the 5x5x5 routine of DJ's @ 5mph, 6mph, and 7mph. Then I increased the incline to the max and walked at 4.2 for about 8 minutes. The last few minutes I set the incline back to 0 and jogged again for a little bit at each of the same speeds as before. Our arm workout started with 3 sets of overhead presses, then 3 sets of press downs, next up was 3 sets of standing dumbbell curls, and finally 3 sets of seated dumbbell curls. We only did 6 sets for each muscle group to get a little change in the routine and because we needed to train quickly so we could get the hell out of the gym. Our ab workout also consisted of 6 sets total. 3 sets of crunches using large exercise balls, and then 3 sets on the hammer strength crunch machine (which was just awful).



I had another on plan day. Breakfast was pancakes, facon, a slice of bread, and a banana. My morning snack was a cup of yogurt. Lunch was chicken noodle soup and a basil & tomato veggie pizza burger. My afternoon snack was a chocolate peanut butter bar. Dinner was veggie fajitas with veggie chorizo, cauliflower with cheese sauce and a few olives. Kim brought home some fresh home made bread from her mother (a very small amount) and I had a tiny slice of it after dinner. Dessert was a white chocolate chunk cookie and a small piece of cheese.

It's still stupid cold here. Other than going to the gym, we pretty much don't leave the house. The hounds are all miserable from having to stay inside. We're missing our walks around the lake. Hopefully a warm front will arrive the first of the week and the temps will get back into the 50's. Good dog walking weather!

BodyBugg Info:


Calories In = 1601
Calories Burned = 4061
Calorie Deficit = 2460

Today was my second 4000+ calorie burn day! I think I've got it figured out now how to hit that mark a little more often. I need to get cardio in early so I'm burning calories at a higher rate all day, plus getting in about 90 minutes of total cardio spread out during the day in three sessions (2 on the bike, one at the gym on a treadmill/elliptical).

Tomorrow all training will be at home. I need a day off from seeing the gym. Hope to have a good day Sunday and then a good weigh in on Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of spin :-) Now you see why I drag myself to the gym to do it. Don't you feel accomplished afterwards? I have missed it so I am ready to get back at it this week.

    And after the xmas break my butt was so sore that I couldn't sit on my road bike on the trainer (which is surprisingly harder than a spin bike) but I am hoping that goes back away soon. You will love the gel seat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I completed a workout without having to fall out and rest this morning! Killing me twice daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA, yeah...I felt that way at first too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel spinning should be a part of everybody’s training regimen. Spinning is fun, healthy and keeps you focused. Spinning does not allow you to lax which means that you make the most out of your training sessions. I love spinning. I hope you enjoy spinning as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete