Friday, January 1, 2010

Ney Year's Eve (Day 138)

Kim and I were able to get to the gym today (Thursday), but it was a MADHOUSE. This time of year is awful at most gyms. The gym is only open a few hours on holidays, so everyone who trains regularly are squeezed in at the same time. Add to that the New Year's Resolutioner's and you've got a mess. NYR's are the folks that train (attempt to train) for about a week after the holidays. The hit the gym like a crazed person, get INCREDIBLY sore, and are never seen or heard from again. Occasionally a few become dedicated and fall in with the rest of us and make exercise part of their lifestyle, but most do not. When we got to the gym I gave up on the idea of training arms and we only did cardio. 30 minutes on the treadmill, incline 14.2, speed 4.2 & then 15 minutes on the elliptical at increasing levels of intensity. I saw some of the worst form used by some of the NYR's I've ever seen. Lots of swinging of the weights, movements that train tendons, and lots of lower back exercises. Years ago I'd have offered some tips or advice, but after trying that a few times only to be assured they knew more about training than I ever would, I now NEVER offer to help anyone I don't know. If someone asks, then sure and I'm delighted to help, but if not I just watch, smile, and shake my head. Kim noticed some of the craziness as well and looked at me and cracked a smile. Good luck to all of them. If you are one of the NYR's, get some help. Hire a trainer for a week. Ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing. Read a magazine or find some info online. Most importantly, go slow at first and BE SAFE.

After our cardio I decided to turn the ringer off on my phone (I NEVER get to do this) and curl up with a book as Kim went into her final holiday baking/cooking mode. I read/rested for a few hours and she cooked up a storm. We went to a friend's house for NYE where I had a single REAL hot dog. It was wonderful. I also sampled quite a few different snacks and overall didn't do bad eating. However a little later I felt terrible. I don't know if it was the hot dog or if it was a delayed reaction from the Indian last night, but either way, I began to suffer from terrible abdominal pain. Thank goodness we don't have anymore dinners/feasts/celebrations to attend until maybe Valentine's day.

The rest of the day was all NS. Breakfast was a cinniamon swirl granola bar, morning star sausage pattie, a banana, and a slice of bread. Lunch was cheesy home-style potatoes with a morning star chik'n grillers. My afternoon snack was a fudge brownie with a little PB. Up to that point I had about 998 calories on the day. I'm gonna guess I had another 1500 the rest of the evening bringing me in at 2500 calories on the day. The rest of the weekend I'm gonna cycle my calories back down towards the 1500-1800 calorie range.

Bodybugg Info:

Calories Burned =3286 (really low for me)
Calories In =2500
Deficit =786

Again, I'm guessing on the calories after the NS part of the day.

The gym is closed NYD so I guess we'll be walking the hounds multiple times and playing the Wii trying to get some exercise.

Happy New Year's everyone.

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky your NYRs disappear after a week or two. In my experience it is more like 6 weeks (in the heart of Feb), maybe they just have goals to get fit by V-day! HA! I have been a slacker this week with being sick and now I am scared to go near the gym. Gonna suck it up soon though...and I will be there with the NYRs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're gonna train on Saturday. It will probably be a madhouse again...

    ReplyDelete