Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reading Blogs Can Be So Depressing (Tue & Wed, Days 157 & 158)

I love reading blogs. I read friends and family members blogs. I follow lots of photography related blogs. I read every Atlanta area food blogger I can find. I follow cheese mongers, sushi chefs, and Blissful Gluttons. I love reading the NS blogs too.

Lately when I read the NS blogs I cycle between wanting to scream in frustration, or cry from despair. It seems lots of the new people are either unable to read and follow the directions with the plan, or they think they know better than the plan and are intent on doing things that will surely lead to failure. I catch myself almost commenting on the posts where someone is ecstatic about only taking in 600 calories for the day, or that they hate veggies so they've decided simply to exclude them from the diet, or that they just can't drink water because it tastes like, well, water. But I realize that if I do comment on their posts, most won't listen, or even if they do and the comment helps them, then next ten posts by other people later in the day are gonna be the same thing. This is the part that makes me want to scream with frustration.

I wanna cry when I read a post and I can tell within the first two sentences that they'll never make it through the first month. These posts reek of failure before they even start the program. I can tell these people don't really want to even try. They sound so unmotivated and begin with such negative feelings and continually give themselves excuses why this won't work for them. It's sad because the tone of their writing is just despair. I can't even bring myself to comment because I feel it would be useless. They've given up before they started.

The funniest blogs have been about the new Taco Bell Drive Thru "Diet". Unreal. For those of you who don't read the fine print, it's not really a diet. Some of their items do have between 120-350 or so calories, but that's for a SINGLE taco. Sure you could eat that occasionally, maybe as a treat. I bet not many people trying to lose weight will order a single taco, long term. They might do it for a week (maybe). The woman on the commercial also lost the weight over the course of 3 years. Funny stuff, fast food/drive thru diet.

The posts I have no pity for are the people who hate all of the food. I want to reach through the computer, grab them by the throat and shake them while screaming "THIS IS NOT GOURMET FOOD! THIS IS DIET FOOD. YOU'RE HERE BECAUSE OF THE FOOD THAT DID TASTE GOOD TO YOU!" NS is a fantastic opportunity to change your life. Don't find reasons that it won't work, or things that you don't like. Have there been foods that I didn't love? Sure. Did I dwell on it? Nope. I moved right on and found a meal I did like. I certainly NEVER considered that because one or two meals weren't the best thing I've ever tasted that I couldn't stick to the NS plan. NS works. If you really want to lose weight you WILL. Follow the program. If you don't succeed it's because you didn't really want to. Anyway, enough of my rant about blogs.


Blogs frustrate the Pug too! She has to chew on her bone (while lying on the new leather sofa) to feel better.


Tuesday I had about a 1700 calorie day (I really don't recall exactly what I ate and I'm to tired to look it up). I did eliminate the multiple small amounts of cheese or whatever I had been using to try to get in some more protein in favor of a cup of yogurt with caramel (calorie free) sauce.

Tuesday's workouts began with 30 minutes on the spin bike at home. Once we made it to the gym Kim and I jumped onto the treadmills for 30 more minutes (I don't recall what program I did, but about 90% of it was jogging/running and the rest was walking uphill). We trained shoulders after the treadmill work. 3 sets dumbbell military presses, 3 sets of side lateral raises, and 3 sets of rear delts. We trained fast and got out quickly so we could get home to rest and have lunch. Later we walked over 2.3 miles around the lake with Jumping Jack Flash. Finally I got in 30 more minutes on the spin bike after dinner.

Wednesday morning found Kim feeling sick so I trained alone. Cardio on the day was 60 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the treadmill. I trained back at the gym. 3 sets of lat pull downs, 3 sets of T bar rows, 3 sets of seated rows and 1 set of pull ups.

After the gym we headed to Atlanta for Kim to return some clothes. Afterward we decided to eat at a great little place called the Falafel Cafe. We don't often get to eat Persian/Iranian food, so this was a treat. We shared an order of Humus between us. Kim ordered the Falafel wrap and I ordered a lamb kabob with saffron rice. The rice is unreal good. Mix in a little humus and it's crazy. The lamb was excellent too, but the rice! Kim's wrap was delicious and that's probably what I'll get the next time, but the platter instead of the wrap. No clue on calories for the day. I had about 800 before dinner (NS on plan to that point). I'm not bothered by eating such a delicious meal that was most certainly off plan. I trained hard, got in over 90 minutes of cardio, & didn't have an afternoon snack. I'm gonna overestimate (I hope) my calories for the day at 2500. Did I mention how delicious the saffron rice was?





Thursday will be an on plan day. We'll train arms and get in the usual 90+ minutes of cardio. Looking forward to the weekend again so I can ease the cardio down to 30-60 minutes per day.

BodyBugg Info:

Tuesday:
Calories In = 4070
Calories Burned = 1751
Calorie Deficit = 2319

Wednesday:
Calories In = 2502
calories Burned = 4003
Calorie Deficit = 1501

3 comments:

  1. Ah. You need to find some funny ones...

    I recommend http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com

    She's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blissful Glutton would have to be a tough one for you. I really don't have the will power that you have man...I'm lifting like crazy and not seeing anything change on the scale but clothes are fitting a little better....My diet sucks ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Adam - I had the same thing going for about 2 years. Great strength increases and maybe better overall fitness, but I might have lost 10-15 pounds during that time period. I LOVE looking at food blogs. When we are in Atlanta (or anywhere out of Calhoun) we eat at some great reviewed restaurant. I just can't eat as much now!

    ReplyDelete