Sunday, January 3, 2010

Of Bagels and Biceps (Day 140)

Today (Saturday) Kim and I began the day with a trip North to the nearest Panera Bread Company store for a bagel. We split an Everything bagel with cream cheese (I'm trying to make this a weekend ritual). She returned some clothes to a nearby store and then we headed back home. After resting for a bit and getting cleaned up we headed to the gym. Not nearly as crazy as on NYE, but still crowded and everyone was training arms, which is what we needed to train. We knocked out an easy 30 minutes on the treadmill, incline 14.3, speed 4.3 before hitting the weights. Triceps came first, starting with 3 sets of press downs, then 3 sets of overhead presses, and finally 3 sets of rope press downs. Biceps began with 3 sets of standing barbell curls, then 3 sets of standing dumbbell curls, and finally 3 sets of machine preacher curls. We decided to skip the remaining cardio (both my feet were cramping, weird) and get home. No dog walking (it's STUPID cold here) but we did play a little Wii. We've gotta get a few more Wii games soon.


Breakfast was the 1/2 bagel from Panera, lunch was a double chocolate caramel NS bar & a basil tomato veggie pizza burger. My afternoon snack was half a small supreme protein bar, an oatmeal raisin cookie with peanut butter. Dinner was a thick crust pizza with veggie chorizo and a salad. Dessert was a white chocolate chunk cookie with peanut butter.



I've noticed the BodyBugg and the treadmill have a great discrepancy when it comes to the number of calories burned. I use the treadmill on almost the highest incline while walking a a moderate pace (speed of 4.2 mph or so). The treadmill calculates my calories burned at over 1200 per hour, based on the incline, speed, and my body weight. The BB numbers are no where close. I do hold on to the treadmill for balance (did I mention the incline is kinda steep?) so my arms do not move as if I were walking. Could this be the cause for the difference? Or maybe the treadmill just overestimates terribly? I need to do some research on this. I think when I use the elliptical the calories are closer in line and my arms are moving while holding onto the handles on the machine. Anyone have any ideas?

BodyBugg Info
Calories Burned = 3058
Calories Consumed = 2000
Calorie Deficit = 1058

No comments:

Post a Comment