Saturday, October 31, 2009

Goat Brains & Baby Octopus (Day 76)


Ok, obviously (from the title of this post) today was not an "on plan" day for me. We had to go to Atlanta for most of the day so we took the opportunity to eat at our FAVORITE Indian restaurant, Tandoor. It's a little hole in the wall kinda joint with outstanding food. The owner grew up in India & Pakistan, so you end up with a blend of both types of cuisines. So that's our first stop. I've always wanted to try the goat brains, but have never had the courage. Being Halloween, I couldn't think of a better day to try the brains so I ordered Goat Brain Masala. Kim ordered Chana Masala (Chick Peas in Masala). We shared a piece of Naan (Bread). The brains were served with some ginger and jalapenos. Utterly delicious! I figured I'd like it, but I was still a little tentative with the first bite. I think that if anyone ate this dish and didn't know what it was they'd like it. If you're even a little adventerous and have the opportunity, take the plunge and give a brain dish a try. Anyway, I only ate 1/2 the order and Kim and I combined ate about 2/3 of the bread. I don't think I really overdid it eating with the brains. By the way 1g of brains has about 39 calories.



Dinner tonight was an insta fav. We had baby octopus, marinated in balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil, and pepper (we heard about it on NPR). Outstanding. The little baby octopus kinda looked like the aliens on "The Simpson's" and they were delicious. We had the little octopus with a salad.



The rest of our day in Atlanta was spent either at my sister's house or between two different farmers markets. We went by my sister's so we could see her son in his Halloween costume (he was a little chick) and shoot some images of him. Cute.
After leaving her house we headed to the Buford Highway Farmers Market. We bought some fruits and veggies and a little European Cheese. We left there and went to one of the Harry's locations to continue shopping. We ended up with more veggies & fruits as well as more, dare I say better cheeses. I found a double cream gouda, some various other cheeses including a Parmesan Kim is crazy about (we had it on our salads tonight & it was great). But the most interesting cheese we bought is called Tommes Des Bois Noirs Herve Mons. It is a cheese made from raw goat milk. It has a beautiful whitish rind. The cheese tastes great. The rind smells at first like ammonia. Then after smelling it for a second you realize what it really smells like.....It smells like a big vat of cat urine. Yup, cat urine. Stinky, but the cheese smells and tastes great.





So today was a good day (I'm listening to Ice Cube as I type this) even though I was off plan. I didn't over eat. I actually think I was near or under my calorie allotment for the day. Without a doubt, I'm sure I had the strangest meals today out of everyone that is now, or has ever been on NS. I'm kinda proud of that. I was very proud of our choices at both markets (carts full of vibrantly colored fruits & veggies). 3 months ago I'd have filled the carts full of cakes, meats, cookies, candies, pastries, etc. So different now. Back to NS meals tomorrow & back my usual exercise routine as well.

Happy Halloween!

PS. Scariest thing this Halloween? UGA Football. Scary bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment